Friday, November 24, 2017

Zander Riley's Birth Story

For those interested here is the amazing birth story of my second born son, Zander. All of this happened in the comfort of my own home and I couldn't be more thankful. <3



November 5, 2017

1:25am. I was rolling over in bed when I felt my water break. Being 42 weeks pregnant I was VERY excited thinking labor was going to start any minute! I tried to go back to sleep as best I could and got maybe a couple more hours here and there. I would wake up only to pray that labor would start soon so I wouldn't have to go to the hospital to have this baby. Around 6:30am Jaxon woke up so Justin went into his room to tell him to go back to sleep. When Justin got back in bed with me I was so excited I said, "How would you like to have a baby today?" He looked at me confused. "My water broke at 1:25 this morning!" I said. That made Justin become wide awake and get super excited which made me also get even more excited than I already was! After that we both knew we wouldn't be going back to sleep. I started bouncing on my birthing ball trying to get labor started while Justin took a shower. We both tried to relax knowing it could be awhile. But as the day went on and nothing was happening I started to get really worried. I was envisioning having to go to the hospital and be put on drugs to get labor started and I really didn't want that. :-/ We went on a long walk after breakfast, I went up and down the basement stairs so many times throughout the day, I bounced on my birthing ball, and we both just kept praying. Around lunch time my sister-in-law brought us castor oil and a electric breast pump hoping maybe those things would help get labor going. It kinda did... But as soon as I was stop pumping the contractions would stop. It was so frustrating. 
The day seemed to drag on until around 6-7:00pm when Brande and Malory (my brith team/midwife) came over to see if they could get things going for me. They made me drink tinctures, do more exercises, walk the stairs over and over again, take a long hot shower, and sit on my birthing ball. Finally with all of those things combined my contractions started! But even then I didn't think they were very intense. I definitely had to breathe through them after awhile but I didn't feel like I was in "the zone" yet. You know, the zone where you don't wanna talk, smile, or laugh in between contractions because you're so focused on what you're body is doing. ;) Brande checked me to see how dilated I was and we were both shocked to find out I was 4-5 centimeters already! Halfway there and I didn't even feel like my body was trying very hard. That was super exciting. :D 
After awhile my contractions finally started to pick up in intensity! I was so excited and told everyone with Jaxon's birth I dreading another contraction coming. But with Zander I was so excited and welcomed every contraction hoping they'd become more intense and praying they wouldn't stop! Even so, I was still able to talk in between contractions and didn't feel like I was close to delivery at all. I remember telling Justin sadly this could still be awhile. I kept trying to remind myself that pushing didn't have to take 2 hours (like with Jaxon's birth) so I could be closer than I thought even though I had no urge to push yet. After feeling pretty nauseous all the sudden and going to the bathroom Justin asked if I wanted to get in the birthing pool. I told him I really didn't want to cause we had worked so hard to get labor started and I was scared it would slow down my contractions and drag this whole birth out longer. I also didn't want to have to get in and out a bunch of times before the baby came. I seriously thought I still had hours ahead of me. At this point in the story I literally had maybe 10 more minutes before Zander was going to be in my arms. But there I was terrified that these contractions were not strong enough and I probably had all night to go still. Haha! Crazy! 
I got into the pool and had one normal contraction. Then all the sudden I had the most intense, strong, painfully crazy urge to push. Like my body was going to explode unless I pushed with all my might! I couldn't have stopped it even if I wanted to and believe me I wanted it to stop and give me a second to catch my breath. It hurt so bad. This was the toughest part for Justin to watch and he started to silently cry while he held my hand and kept telling me I could do this. He was, is, and will always be my rock! He gives me strength to get through with his encouraging words and his positive attitude. Continually telling me to relax, saying "you've got this", "you're doing great!", and many other awesome little things that kept me going. Makes me cry just thinking about the love that man has for me. I couldn't have gone through this birth without his encouragement and his support. I have been blessed beyond belief to have that man as my own. He makes the worlds best doula/birth partner any girl could ever ask for. Don't even get me started on how amazing he is as a father to our boys! It would take way too long to write out! <3



Anyways back to the birth. ;) Brande told me to reach down and see if I could feel the baby's head. Oh boy, I could feel it alright! His head was almost out with just the first push! When the next push came his head was out and I accidentally poked my little guy in the eye as I tried to get a good grip. One more push and Zander was out!! I caught him myself and brought him to my chest. In the commotion I didn't realize the cord was around his neck but thank goodness Brande fixed it as fast as lightening and Zander made his first sounds in this world. He had a full head of dark hair just like his big brother and he looked absolutely perfect. Justin put his hand on Zander's head and lifted up a silent prayer for him. The most special moment between father and son that I didn't know was even happening at the time but will never forget now. <3 Zander's face was pretty bruised by my body pushing his out so quickly. Poor baby... :( It cleared up within two days though and he is and always has been absolutely precious. 

Everything about this birth was different from my first experience. But I wouldn't change a thing about either story. The Lord orchestrated it all beautifully and He gave me two of the most precious boys I could ever ask for. I am so thankful He saw fit to make me Jaxon and Zander's Mama! <3


Just in case you were wondering, Jaxon absolutely adores his little brother! He is very gentle with Zander and is very affectionate with hugs, kisses, patting his back, and rubbing his head. When Jaxon met Zander for the first time he was all smiles and wanted to hold and kiss *his* baby. The sweetest moment for us as a family of four. <3 There has never been any jealousy or acting out towards the baby from Jaxon and for that we are so grateful to our little man. These two already have a special bond and I cannot wait to see what the Lord has in store for them together.


Well, that's all! I mostly write this for myself to never forget this crazy amazing experience of bringing my son into the world. But I hope you enjoyed it as well. :) 

Until next time,
~Melinda






No comments:

Post a Comment